Powered by Blogger.

Once Upon A Time...I Did Work Outside The Home!

    Believe it or not...I haven't always been a stay at home mommy! 
    Okay, I know you probably kind of figured that, but are you even the slightest bit curious what I did to pay my bills...before I was able to land the most awesome job ever (being a mommy to my four kids)?

    I did staffing! 
    What the heck is that you ask?

    Let me start at the beginning.  I moved to San Diego, when I was 21...with no job, a roommate lined up and the entire world opened before me.  Needless to say I was scared to death, but ready to see what was out there!  One of my first stops in San Diego was to a staffing service, to hopefully find "TEMPORARY" work until I was able to land a full time job.  I have always been a very quick typer, had plenty of experience with admin work (worked at a hospital my entire senior year of high school - thru then), etc.  I thought maybe I could do some front desk work, etc...so at least I had some sort of paycheck coming to pay for my rent, car, food, etc.
    Photobucket
    I went in, did my testing, interviewed & chatted with the staffing clerk and was immediately put in touch with the manager, who offered me (basically on the spot) a job "IN OFFICE" as a staffing clerk in one of their newer offices.  Ummm...are you kidding?  A steady income, plus commission and security of knowing I could pay my bills?  SCORE!!

    I really enjoyed doing it too!  After figuring out how to match companies with the right person for their openings...I was nailing great "DIRECT HIRE" positions for more executive levels, etc.  It was nice!  Plus, the paychecks were even NICER! 
    Photobucket
    When I found myself pregnant, unwed and scared to death once again...a door opened at another staffing service in my hometown and I JUMPED at the opportunity.

    Would I recommend using a staffing service to find yourself a job (if you're having a hard time in this economy)?  YES!!  At least, for the interim...they could possibly find you fill-in work (it's still a paycheck) and could turn into a more permanent position or even a better opportunity for the same company later down the road.

    Will I return to staffing when my kids are out of the house?  Probably not, but I really think that the skills I learned to help promote people and "SELL" the jobs to the hopeful employees really helps me even with my relationships with companies and my blogspot now!  Would it be nice to have a steady income again with large commissions for landing those PERM placement jobs?  Absolutely, but for now, I think my great reward is being able to see my kids grow up. 

    I'll have plenty of time to work in the future...for now...I am thankful to be a stay at home mommy!

Post Title

Once Upon A Time...I Did Work Outside The Home!


Post URL

http://gallerygirlss.blogspot.com/2011/09/once-upon-timei-did-work-outside-home.html


Visit Gallery Girls for Daily Updated Gallery Girls
Cpx24.com CPM Program

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews